- Grandpa Green written and illustrated by Lane Smith. I loved the illustrations–mostly in earth tones, the use of red as an accent really stood out. A sweet story.
- The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? written and illustrated by Mo Willems. I LOVE THE PIGEON BOOKS! And I love cookies (but without nuts please), so this was a match made in heaven..
- Gifts from the Gods: Ancient Words and Wisdom from Greek and Roman Mythology by Lise Lunge-Larsen and illustrated by Gareth Hinds. Most of the word origins illustrated here I already knew, but the story and picture behind panic made the book. A good fit for young readers interested in mythology and etymology.
- The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig. The Pink Carnation books are quite silly, but this one really stood out. It has lots of clever word play and dialogue, and there’s a lot of history packed in this one as well. Thank heavens I took that class on the French Revolution and Napoleon in college!
- Fairly Fairy Tales by Esmé Raji Codell and illustrated by Elisa Chavarri. Another silly retelling of fairy tales, but good for the child who likes to participate in bedtime stories. It grew on me as I read it, and I was smitten by the end.
- Fat Kid Rules the World by KL Going. This is an amazing book. I read it because I saw the trailer for the movie, and now I can’t wait to see the movie. So much heart and soul and punk rock packed into a very short novel. I loved it to pieces.
- “Agent Vinod” Oh what a silly spy movie! The ending could have stood a bit of editing to tighten it up, but overall it was quite good. And as an extra special bonus it includes a remake of Boney M’s “Rasputin.” What’s not to love here?
- “Magadheera” I will confess: Cathy and I watched this expecting an utter train wreck. Instead we had the best time watching a movie made of AWESOME. If this is a representative example of Telugu movies, then I want to see more please! Shabash!
- “Karan Arjun” A lot more revengey than I was expecting, but what was I thinking: the main characters worship Kali, and are reincarnated to avenge their murders. There is also a billboard that defies all description. Wow.
- Books: 15/50
- Movies: 14/50